Thursday, April 21, 2005

Nocturnal Elicits

Every two months or so I am woken out of reasonably solid sleep consistently an hour before my alarm is set to go off. I never wonder why as I immediately feel that the Lord is calling me to commune with him through prayer/the word/whatever. This is ironic as I desire these situations when I'm wide awake, but as consistently as God calls, I ignore him and roll over to go back to sleep. It's not quite as easy as that, though, as I must willingly deny the opportunity for a special meeting with God. Today was one of those days. Just as before, I feel an incredible sense of loss and an assuredness that this opportunity will not present itself for another couple months. I can't believe I give these times up for an hour of sleep. In fact, the extra hour of "sleep" I get is never deep nor restful; it's more of the tossing & turning variety.

Why do I do this?

Some day I'll respond to the Lord and have something positive to write about, perhaps?

4 Comments:

Blogger Shepard said...

Holy tree frog festival Batman!!
I love the new theme for "COO"

Tempted much here to succumb to its delight, to the extent of coveting, potentialy pirating.

Actually, I won't, but I might look into the coding to see if I can post a link to your Blog on mine.

I put this comment here in lieu of sending an e-mail. I thought your launch post would be good to append it to.

5/19/2005 2:54 PM  
Blogger rossman said...

One morning after going to bed at about 2:00am I was awakend by one of these "nocturnal elicits." Frankly, it was annoying after three short hours but for some reason I actually got up. I sat up in bed and pulled out my journal. I wrote down the first words that came to my mind...not exactly lucid at 5am. "Why did you wake me up this morning, Lord?" I went on to write one of the most honest longest songs I have ever written. It asks this same question and then in the second verse I addressed the more common problen than why did God wake me up.

Why did you let me sleep this morning, Lord?
I wanted to spend some time with you, but my alarm went off and I slept right through
Why did you let me sleep and ignore you, Lord?
I wanted to get up...I really did.
I just kept hitting the snooze bar and making more excuses.

I'm not sure why God gets the blame for these early morning wake-ups, but whether it's His Spirit, or something in the pizza I had for dinner, it's never a bad idea to go to Him and hang out.

5/28/2005 8:51 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Lucky!
True, though, the more common problem is why we don't seek him as vehemently when we are awake...or perhaps why we don't reget it as much for missing opportunities not out of the norm. Still, those times when God (I'm fairly confident I know the difference between God and pizza - I do have His Spirit; Samuel & Eli knew the difference, too.) wakes me I believe are something special. I don't know why, though. I was about to say that it's not that often that he seeks us...but that's not true. Perhaps what I was trying to say was that he doesn't often seek me in that way. Still, I don't know why I would prefer to meet him when he seeks me in my sleep rather than other times and through different, or even conventional, mediums. Hmmm, food for thought.

5/29/2005 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is really deep!
-dreigh

6/09/2005 2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home